Monday, March 9, 2009

I'm a coach!

I have loved the field of Forensics (public speaking competition) since I was in high school. The highlight of my high school career was taking private speech lessons, daily. My teacher/coach (Miss Link) was tough and determined that we would learn as many of the little hints that she could give us to be successful in public speaking and acting. I competed in Forensics all through high school and was able to be part of the school plays every year. What fun! I even earned an award for "Dramatics" as a senior. I love the little comedy/tragedy mask charm that I was given.
And now...now, I'm having the time of my life, coaching middle school kids! And to make it even more rewarding, I'm coaching at the grade school that I attended years ago.
The real fun comes when you can give a kid a direction, have them follow it and then see the light dawn when they figure out that they have the audience in the palm of their hand. We keep track of the scores that they are given by judges at the various meets that our head coach has arranged. We compete in several before the end of the season which culminates in a Statewide Meet. Last year this small parochial school took FIRST PLACE at the State Meet! This year, of the 41 kids on the team, only 8 have not qualified for state...and after this past weekend, perhaps that will have been remedied. This is quite an accomplishment, when you realize that some teams never qualify anyone for the State Meet. And the kids... the kids are enthusiastic, supportive and so much fun to work with.
I must be the oldest coach/judge in the middle school league. My claim to fame is that I have the time to go over to the school every afternoon and LISTEN! Retirement gives you such freedom to do things you love. I spent Friday night and Saturday at two different meets, judging categories from "Group Acting" to "Impromptu Speech."
The other benefit is having something in common with grandchildren. Meggie, our 12 year old, is competing for her school in "Group Acting" and hopes to qualify for State. I get to compare notes with her about our common interest. What a bonus!
I'll keep you up to date with the progress of my team and that of Megan's. Wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment