Friday, March 13, 2009

Wicked Old Songs


Wicked Old Songs... WOW! My day spent coaching ...
[Photo] Wicked Old Songs...
WOW! My day spent coaching middle schoolers in their forensic performances ended with my attendance at this wonderful play put on by In Tandem Theatre. First of all... the theatre company has relocated to the old red church on Wisconsin Avenue, a perfect venue for small theatre productions. It's historic, inviting and small enough for you to feel as if you are part of the production. Chris and Jane Fleiler live in Washington Heights, and I have seen several of their productions. Cudahy Caroler, You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown, etc.

\Secondly, the stage set was perfect for a scene set in present day Vienna.
I have been to Vienna several times and have enjoyed that lovely city immensely, from the Sacher Torte tradition to seeing the glorious Opera House and travelling the Ringstrasse. This tastefully done set of an older apartment of a vocal coach was done so well. The piano dominated the room and a window gave you just a glimpse of an imaginary Vienna, waiting outside the drama that would unfold.

I won't spoil the story for you, in case you ever get to see this interesting play, but I can tell you that it is a contraposition of teacher and pupil that I found fascinating after my afternoon with the junior high crowd. The young man who played the student was so natural in his disdain of the older teacher while he tried to keep some respect. The teacher was done wonderfully by a seasoned actor/director/conductor who is a big part of the Milwaukee Theatre scene.

I can only hope that I can keep my sense of humor as well as the mentor in this piece did. It's fun to see that same expression (that I have seen on many occasions) pop up on this talented actor as he reacts to the 'unreasonable' requests of his teacher.

The unfolding of the training of an accompanist as he learned not only about what a singer feels and thinks was enough to recommend this play. But the German music - oh the German music! I learned so much about the emotion of singing this music and the difference in translation. And somehow, it reminded me of Professor Baer in Little Women!

The denouement of the play is a somber one. I have been to Auschwitz. I don't care to ever go back there. The sadness and tragedy that surround those awful events was reflected in the older man's performance.

And frosting on the cake? We had an unexpected 'talk-back' at the end of the performance with the actors and Chris (the director) sitting down and visiting with the attendees who were smart enough to stick around.What a charming way to get to know the performers. All in all, the evening was a success. I'm thinking of buying TWO season tickets next year and taking a friend with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment